Bikinis, TX’s history began with the arrival of the San Antonio, Fredericksburg and Northern Railroad in 1913. The route was between Fredericksburg and Comfort and the uneven terrain necessitated a tunnel – one of two in the state.
The previous unusual name (Bankersmith, TX) was for Temple D. Smith, who was indeed a banker. As president of Fredericksburg’s first bank, Mr. Smith knew the opportunities that a railroad offered and became an ardent supporter (and financier).
The town received a post office in 1914, but it was sometimes unclear in which county it was listed. Depending on the abode of the postmaster, it was sometimes in Kendall County and sometimes in Gillespie.
Bankersmith reached its apex in the 1920s when it had a population nearing 50 people. By 1930 the number of residents had fallen to a mere 10 residents.
After WWII people left in search of better-paying work and the number of residents fell to only 20 people. The most noteworthy feature around Bankersmith is the old railroad tunnel – a man-made sanctuary for thousands of bats.
Purchase and Renaming
In 2012, restaurateur Doug Guller purchased the remains of the town on Craigslist, saying that he would rename the town to “Bikinis, Texas” after “Bikinis Sports Bar & Grill,” his chain of breastaurants. The identity of the seller and the purchase price are not known, and some have questioned Guller’s ability to rename a town that no longer exists.
Guller declared his intentions to turn the town into a tourist destination by creating a hall of fame for the bikini, presenting its history beginning with its invention in 1946. Guller has said he had no plans to open a Bikinis Sports Bar & Grill restaurant at the location, but might start a bar inside an abandoned bus there.
Source: Wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankersmith,_Texas